Thursday, October 16, 2008

social bookmarking

Hmmm, not sure about this one. It was simple to set up the account, but I doubt I'll use it much for personal use. I don't need my bookmarks following me where ever I go!
I'm not convinced that folksonomies in their basic form is a good way to find good websites - people use such a variety of words to name the same thing so it is perhaps an unreliable or time-consuming way of finding information if you don't think the same way as another person. Also, you can't use two words as a tag (eg 23 things) without making it one word - limitation of the software?

bookmark Pictures, Images and Photos


I do like what Cleveland Library has done though, using their professional librarian skills to select good web resources that everyone can make use of - I see the value in that. I am much more likely to look at the links recommended by an expert than a random person who has put links on the web.
Do we do this already? I don't remember seeing that sort of resource laid out like this. Perhaps sharing professional resources links inhouse would be helpful too. Sharing our favourite websites would widen our resource base. It also means we can access them from anywhere, especially if we hotdesk.

No comments: