Thursday, October 30, 2008

podcasts

I can see why podcasts appeal to some people, access and view a program at any time you want, or bits of it, and watch it again without having to use up more bandwidth.
The programs are going to have to be good for me to want to do that again, given the size of the files I downloaded. They will have to be interesting and have a point and not take too long to download - I downloaded one that took 5 minutes on cable - way too long and was disappointing.
I like the idea of having library tours as podcasts and perhaps some events could be podcast - particularly some of our big ticket events, and some of our storytime sessions, which I hear are fantastic - "library wiggles" anyone?
I did find some cool things on the SciFi channel website, so I guess if we provide good content, people may want to download it. I'm not as keen on this as the video streaming. With the video streaming you can stop the video if it's boring and you haven't necessarily wasted time downloading the whole thing to view.

1 comment:

Sleepydumpling said...

I agree, podcasting needs to go more into streaming media. A lot of the radio stations stream theirs, and some of them can be streamed through iTunes, but it needs to get to be the standard like video is!